TIPS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOME AND SAVE ENERGY
With the winter now upon us and in BC it has been a particularly unusual one where snow came and didn't go. For us on the "Left Coast" , we do not know what to do with all the white stuff. Furthermore our homes are not built to handle the chilly weather.
I know what all you folk in the rest of Canada are thinking. "Just don't say it.
But there are simple ways to offset the heat losses and Save Money on Home Energy. Here are some tips'
- Set the Thermostat to 20C when you are home.
- When you leave the home, lower the thermostat . By lowering the temperature bt 10 to 15 degrees you can save between 5 and 15 % a year on your energy bill.
- Close your curtains or blinds at night and when you are not home to keep the warm air from escaping.
- Check drafts around windows and doors. Caulk gaps and cracks that are obvious. If you use foam insulation be sure not to add too much as it may warn the door or window frame. A little at a time works best.
- Close the fireplace damper when you are not using it.
- Insulate. Up to 25% of heat is lost through small cracks and holes. you could save up to 10% per year.
- Replace old windows. Windows account for 25 to 50% of the home's heating and cooling.
- Maintain your heating and cooling duct system. Regular maintenance is the key. Change filters as required and have your furnace services on regular intervals.
Truestar Home Inspection Services provides a HomeBinder with each home inspection that allows you to record the maintenance and service of components of your new home. We even send you a reminder Email when it is time to change filters, smoke alarms , etc. We send the reminder emails as long as you own the home.
It's just part of our total care best practice.